Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January...

WOW. It's been a while. "A while" is actually a gross understatement. For someone who loves to write as much as I do, this is just obscene. But, it's a new year...(yes, maybe almost halfway into the first month of the new year, but a new year nonetheless), and I've made a promise to myself to be more disciplined in my writing.

I guess part of the turn off from habitually writing comes from the fact that I have already spent 4 years in an undergraduate college program in addition to 1 semester of graduate school -- and still have 3 more years of graduate school "to look forward to"...FOR MY MASTERS (please, oh please, don't even begin mentioning DOCTORATE...although I'm already scouting out programs and schools).

You see, when you're in college (undergrad/grad/what-have-you), and ESPECIALLY when you're in a liberal arts field like myself (I have my BA in Psychology and two minors in Religious and Women's studies), you don't get handed worksheets. You don't have lovely fill-in-the-blank answers and multiple choice questionnaires (not saying that there is any one program that really does have these -- I'm just speaking from experience.)

NO. You have to explain. You have to know (some of us more and better than others). You have to be able to be eloquent, educated, while being concise (something I have always struggled with -- thanks mom (: ). You aren't tested by how perfect your circles around your "D" is, or based off of penmanship.

No. You have to write. Papers. And I'm not talking a 2-page response to some nonsense article you may have read.

No. How about a 35 page final paper in RESEARCH METHODS based around figures, charts, and statistics. ENTHRALLING, I know. Hey, at least I got an "A". :)

So, that brings me to this point where I'm at now. There is always going to be a part of me that is sad that I never followed through with my creative-writing (double) major (believe me, I wouldn't ever give up my psychology degree for anything in the world....it's too much fun!), but I have to remind myself that what I have concerning my creative writing abilities is a natural, God-given gift, and nothing any professor could have taught or necessarily perfected. You can't LEARN to be a passionate writer. It's just something you are. And while my preferred areas of writing are rather unique from the majority of the creative-writing population (I'll take {screen}playwriting any day over poetry or prose), I find pleasure in all facets.

So, here goes.

My (2009) Year in Review (In no particular/chronological order):
  • I graduated Cum Laude from UNC Charlotte (like I said, with my BA in Psychology and 2 minors in Religious and Women's Studies) -- wicked awesome.
  • I almost lost my baby sister (the only sibling I have) to 3 blood clots. A week after being admitted into ICU and many pain medications later (for her, not for me, of course), I came to truly appreciate the little sister God had given me 20 years ago. I'm thankful everyday that He has given her more time with us -- or us more time with her.
  • Said baby sister (from above) GOT MARRIED!!! -- YAY!
  • Along with bullet #3, I got a BROTHER (in-law). But, I just leave off those last two words. :)
  • I joined the ridiculous world of "Twilight" -- BUT, I made sure to not finish ALL of the books in the two week span that I had going...I have yet to finish the second half of the last book...but that will happen one day. Oh, and I'm TOTALLY team Edward. ;)
  • I celebrated the second year of being with the love of my life, Billy. It's been such a great time so far, and continues to only get better! I can't wait to see what God has in store for our futures together.
  • I met a girl who is fast becoming one of my closest, dearest friends. I met Stephanie originally at our interview for our graduate program, and then when we went to orientation and began classes, we became quick friends. I don't know what I'd do without Stephanie...she's awesome!
  • I moved out on my own. Now, throughout college I was out on my own from time to time -- like Freshman thru half of sophomore year I lived in the dorms at ASU -- but with a roommate. And then I moved home for another year and a half -- with my family. Then I moved into a house with 2 other girls -- and two dogs and two cats. FINALLY, I'm on my own. With my dog. In my own apartment. Just me, myself and I (and Buster).
  • I got two tattoos. Yes, you read that right. TWO. One on the inside of my left wrist that is the Hebrew word for Grace. I got that one July 3. The other is a "C.R." that I designed myself on the top-center of my right foot. Got that one December 17. First one burned. Second one hurt. If you have gotten a tattoo, you understand what I'm trying to describe, lol.
  • I began my graduate career at Gardner-Webb University. I'm studying Mental Health Counseling, and I'm a semester in (and a week away from beginning my second semester!), in which I was able to start off my Masters degree career with a 4.0! :)
  • I got my first "big-girl" job!!! -- yes, salaried, with PTO, benefits and all that jazz!!! I'm an ICS Supervisor with Easter Seals UCP, and could not love my job any more than I do! I am so blessed to have been given this opportunity!
So, what's going on with 2010? Well, I don't like New Years Resolutions, soooo...I decided to quit some bad habits a few months before the turn of the New Year. I stopped biting my nails (yay!), and gave up caffeine and adding salt to my food (double yay!). Now, a new goal: Not to drastically cut my hair at all this year...trims and styles, okay...but no drastic cuts. My hair has never been as long as it is today...and I love it!

Also, I am aiming to finish one, if not two, screenplays. I'm just waiting on getting my new computer so I can install my marvelous Christmas gift, Final Draft -- which is official screenwriting software (thanks mom and dad!). Just a few more weeks, and I'll be there! Can't wait! I already have a 10 page + storyboard outlined, and it's still growing. Just have to get cracking on the actually layout and dialog!

Well, that's about it for now....I'm tired, and I need to get ready for bed. :) (Some things never change!)

No comments:

Post a Comment