Thursday, February 5, 2009

The "F" Word

FEMINISM.

I'm not sure if there's really another word that causes so many opinionated responses when mentioned (except for, perhaps, religion or politics...). And if you say that you are in fact a feminist, you are almost certain to be met with a slew of reactions.

You know what I'm talking about. What kind of images come to mind when this 'F' word is mentioned?

Bra-burning, anti-shaving, butch, radical, liberal, close-minded, granola, permissive, cat-obsessed, loud-mouthed, man-haters.

Did that about cover it? I'll be the first to admit, before beginning my education in Women's and Gender's studies at UNC-Charlotte, I bought into a few of the previously mentioned stereotypes of feminists. I thought that being a feminist was a BAD thing. I thought that if you said you're a feminist, you have to agree with everything "they" stand for -- like they all collectively stand together on every issue to begin with. Little did I know, these preconceived notions would all be challenged within a short semester's time.

Not exactly following? Let me put it another way -- I consider myself a Republican when it comes to American politics (at least how they stand right now), and I voted for Bush in the 2004 presidential election, yet, did I agree with everything he stood for and did while in office? Most certainly not. Therefore, if I'm able to affiliate myself as a Republican, yet have differing views on traditional "Republican" issues, can I not also be a Feminist, yet have differing views on some traditional "Feminist" issues? The answer is, most certainly.

Here are a few questions: Do you find it bothersome the way that women are portrayed in the media (i.e. as sex objects, as weak, as "property" to be had, etc.)? Do you think that you should make the same as a male/female (whichever is the opposite of your gender) peer who has the same exact education as you in the exact same job? Do you think that women are more than just passive, quiet, less opinionated counterparts to men? Do you think that women should learn to be independent and not depend on somebody else for their own identity (in other words, women don't have to be somebody's something)? Do you think that women have just as much right to leadership positions as men? Do you truly believe that women can do whatever they set their minds to? If you agree with these statements, then surprise, surprise: YOU'RE A FEMINIST.

I went into pursuing a WGST minor knowing that I would be confronted with a lot of questions and discussion from friends, family, and peers about where I exactly stand. Let me just pose a few of my views when it comes to feminism:

*I believe that women and men should make the same amount of money for the same positions (as of right now, women make $.75 to every $1 a man makes)
*I don't believe into the 3-shift model for women/wives/mothers as compared to the 1-shift model for men/husbands/fathers. I think that the responsibilities of raising and developing a family and home should be distributed equally between spouses.
*I don't believe the way that boys and girls are socialized in America are healthy or beneficial (the 'tough guise' (Katz) v. 'audacity of niceness' (Finley) approaches)
*And a few others...

What I DON'T agree with when it comes to "traditional" feminism (like there's such a thing as "traditional"):
*I am FIRMLY pro-life. (yes, you can be a feminist AND pro-life)
*I do believe in tradition roles within the church (i.e. -- I don't believe in women being pastors, ministers, etc.)

So, maybe through my posts I am able to enlighten a few people as to what feminism is...in all facets, in all forms of philosophy (yes, philosophy), and the WIDE array of issues that come along with it. I am also hopeful to possibly find some comrades in my search for my feminist stances, and demonstrate to my friends, family, and peers that this 'F' word isn't all bad...

There's actually quite a bit of good with it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment