Thursday, January 14, 2010

THTH #1: "Hey, I Know You"...

To get things started with my "restructuring", I have decided to focus on a group today that I admire greatly, not only because of the field that I work in (I work with ESUCP, an organization that works with children & adults with developmental disabilities and special needs), but because I hold this family very near and dear to my heart.

The foundation of focus in this post is the Ben Yorgey Foundation. I never personally met Ben in person, but I am friends with his older brother, Travis, and his family. And through Travis, I learned a lot about who Ben was, and what a great person he was to be around. To read about Ben's life, click here.

The foundation has an amazing purpose and goal, and is focused on a specific need in their community (Lehigh County, PA) that usually does not get met in many, unfortunately. The title of my post comes directly from the foundations URL: http://www.heyiknowyou.org/ and is reflective of the type of person Ben was through and through.

The motto, too, is highly reflective of the life Ben lived: Never meet a stranger. There is no such thing. Love everyone.

I encourage anyone who may read this that is from the Lehigh County, PA area or who may know anybody who lives nearby to participate in the foundation's events that they are sponsoring. And I encourage everyone, no matter where you may live, to get involved in your community, small (local) and large (world-wide), in some way, shape or form. It's an amazing feeling that I can't even begin to describe.

I never imagined that I would find so much fulfillment working in the field that I do today, and I wish everybody had the same understanding and compassion as some of the individuals I encounter on a daily basis who don't have all of the same abilities as everyone else. I'm amazed on a daily basis at the abilities of those who have been told since they were born that they "would never...(fill in the blank)..." It's something that I will continually treasure every day of my life, and it has taught me to no longer put limits on myself. If I personally could tell anybody anything it would be to not only underestimate each other, but don't ever underestimate yourself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment